Wednesday 7 November 2012

OMG It's An Olympus OM-D

The Olympus OM-D EM5
One impressive camera indeed.

When I first saw the Olympus OM-D camera, it was love at first sight. Really. Seriously.
  
I first came across the camera when Felicity and I went and explored the various exhibitions at the The Digital Show in Melbourne earlier this year.

I found it difficult to leave the exhibit, even though it was close to closing time, as Olympus had several OM-D cameras on display for everyone to play with. And did I want to play.

I was immediately taken by the following impressions:

* The ease of use

* The comfortable manner of which the camera sits in your hand

* The clarity of the shots and the realistic colour representation

* The speed of the auto focus and the shutter speed.

So, I went away with the booklet and day dreamed all the way home. I knew without doubt that the OM-D was going to be my next camera.

That said, as always, I never purchase anything, particularly something as important to me as a camera without doing some detailed research first.

So I started wading through the massive sea of reviews online and it became difficult to locate one that held the delicate balance between a strong technical investigation of the camera and a genuine opinion based on personal experience with the camera. 

Then I found a detailed review by Tech Radar and it made all the difference.

With impressive specifications, it looked to be the perfect camera for a street photographer.

So after successfully convincing Felicity that we just had to have a new camera, I went and purchased one.

And it did not take long to find so many things to absolutely love about it:

* It is weatherproof – whilst it is not waterproof it is splash / dust proof

* The sharpness - the photos taken are sharp and vivid

* Famous Olympus colours – the colours are vivid, true to life and just beautiful to look at

* Exceptional art filters – it is extremely convenient to have quality art filters that are easy to access and look stunning. When shooting in raw mode, you can try various filters on the one image. Love it.

* The wonderful tilting OLED touchscreen monitor (which is great for taking photos at different angles – particularly good for shooting from the hip as I am quite tall)

Tilting Touchscreen Monitor
Tilting Touchscreen Monitor


* Fastest autofocus in its class at the time of its release.

* The world's first image stabilisation system that uses a 5 axis system intended to combat body shake for vertical, horizontal, pitch, rolling and yaw.




5 axis system
 This is by no means an exhaustive list of the excellent functionality that this camera provides. The more that I use it, the more impressed I am.

More than anything, I suppose, I love that it takes the right shot, first time round. I find that I don't have to keep re-taking the shot to ensure I got it right. It saves me a lot of time.

There is one downside to the camera, in that it sucks up the battery very quickly. I expect that it may have a lot to do with the 5 axis system. So I recommend that if you are looking at purchasing this camera, that you pick up a spare battery also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter