Monday 5 November 2012

Polaroid Love

Polaroid Love

For most of my adult life, I have held an intense love affair with Polaroid cameras and Polaroid film. (I get shivers down my spine at the mere mention of Polaroid film). With the discontinuation of production of Polaroid films in 2008, it seemed that our extensive collection of vintage Polaroid cameras were bound for a life of shelfdom.

I am not ashamed to admit that Felicity and I mourned the loss, and we expected to do so for a very long time.

However, In 2010, The Impossible Project announced the release of two monochromatic films, the PX100 and PX600, which are compatible with the SX-70 and 600 type cameras, respectively. Colour films were initially released in 2010 for SX-70 type cameras, followed in 2011 with the release of improved colour films for Polaroid 600, SX-70 and Spectra Cameras.

So, it seems, some good folk were trying to keep this wonderful, timeless photo format alive.

But before I dust off the Polaroid camera collection, it is worth mentioning that the price of the re-released films is quite restrictive. Not too many people will be too willing to spend a minimum of $25 - $30 for just eight exposures.

In any case, some of my favourite photos were taken with a Polaroid camera (like the two detailed photos below). I used to take it with me everywhere and take photos whenever and wherever the urge took me. Fond memories indeed.

I guess that smart phones and digital cameras have taken the place of where Polaroid left off.

Perhaps it is time for me to accept that the Polaroid Love was good whilst it lasted.


Our photographs can be found here.
 
The Long Walk
Internal Flux












No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter